Sunday, September 28, 2008

Discovering danish education second episode

Diversity vs Education vs Freedom

Hello everyone!

How are you today? Are you enjoying the cultural festival in Haderslev? I think so...;) Ehh I can speak from my own experience that I enjoyed it these days, but I will tell you how in the next episode because now I would like to focus more on the education. And I start talking about my last events I have participate at. Ok then... After I visited Fjordskolen from Aabenraa on Monday and met my psychologist teacher on Tuesday ( information which I gave you in the last episode), on Wednesday I assisted to a presentation held by Isabel, a teacher from Portugal. It was a nice presentation, she spoke about their educational system and while she was speaking I can say that I had the feeling of being home in my country. Why? because I could identify many common features between portuguese educational system and romanian educational system. They have the same structure of education, they use in universities Bologna education system which means only 3 years of university and 2 years of master. Hmm...I am not very proud of this system because I feel like I am runing through all the subjects and I don't have the time to focus on the information that I really need; the rhythm of studing is a little bit fast. It was interesting for me to meet Isabel because she is a clinical psychologist and after she finished her presentation I could have the opportunity to talk to her about this field. She was realy nice and now I can say that I am having an international experience here in Denmark;). On Thursday I went with Judit at school where she is doing the practice and was a nice coincidence to met Isabel there.I had the chance to farewell to her because in the afternoon she was going to Copenhagen and from there to Portugal. It was useful for me to visit that school because it's almost a normal school and now I can see the difference between a special school and a normal school. In my opinion the difference is not that big because I could see freedom in education in each one. In special schools is normal to exist more freedom in education because the children who attend these type of courses learn in another rhythm and they can't be force to do more than they can do or to respect some rules.I think that I was expected to see more authority from teachers in a normal school (maybe because I am used with the romanian educational system which is a little bit different) and it wasan't like this. Teachers are called by their first name and the position of chairs and tables is different becasue they are arranged in a way which allow pupils see one each other and they can easly communicate. It was great to see all these. In my country I have experienced this only at the college, in the others institutes like primary school, gymnasium and highschool things are more formal, the position of chairs and tables is in line which give you the possibility to see only the teacher and the colleague who sit next to you and this can make the communication harder sometimes. And my week ended with the visit at Skolen ved Stadion, a special school, which is located in the back of our college and which looks very pretty. It offers to the children very good conditions.They can have swimming lessons and most of them know how to swim even those affected by some disabilities.I was surprised to see that the school is not a private one and they've got all the equipements and materials they needed.


No comments: