Saturday, October 4, 2008

30.09.2008 - 01-02-03.10.2008 at Aabenraa
















How did I spend the rest of the week in Aabenraa?
I have had a very nice time at Aabenraa to Fjordskolen. I have participated to all the activities that children should do every day at school. For some of the subjects like Danish or maths, the children work by themselves in their room, receiveing help individualy because they are sensitive to noices and they need their own space. But theier schedule is pretty nice, they start the day singing a song or walking in the forest after this they talk about the date of the day, the weather of the day and they also discuss about the activities they did the day before. After they have these discussions they begin to work on subjects like Danish, Maths, English, etc. Once a week they are taught how to cook. First of all the recipe divided in pictures which explains the things that should be made is given to them and after several times of repeating the children can use a normal recipe (without pictures), this being learnt by heart. It is really interesting because they learn to live a normal life, to do normal things. Some of the oldest children from school(15-16 years) are selling inside of school food like bakery cakes made by them, and others which are bought. The aim of this activity is to teach children to use money in order not to have problems in their own life when they go to shop. I noticed that teachers teach the children more how to behave normally (everything being based on practical activities), than delivering information. For me was a good experience to spend a week there because I could see how they work, which are their needs and what the teachers and psychologists should do in order to help them.I also could speak with some of the children who can speak English and I could work with them and play with them as well:). They tried to teach me danish and I could fell their enthusiasm and their emotions during our conversations, they were realy nice. Another good side of this experience is that I was permanentlly in contact with the psychologist of the school, she was doing some tests on pupils, and for one of the pupil I could help her because she was speaking English. But the most important thing was that I had the opportunity to talk with her more about the children from school, about their problemes and as well I found out more information about psychology tests, I have improved my knowledges about tests, about one of them which I didn't hear before. I can say that it was an interesting week because I did nice things, I have met nice people and I heard useful information. In the end of the week on Friday my last day at Fjordskolen I gave them a poster with some pictures and information about Romania, and I wrote the information in Danish in order to understand everyone what I wanted to transmit. And I gave them also some bracelets made by me in the summer, they were surprised and we enjoyed those moments:).
This is all from Fjordskolen! Tomorrow and the days after tomorrow I will go to another school which belongs to Fjordskolen as well but it is a different building with differnt children, more autistic children who are in a level of lower function.
I wish a good week!!!

No comments: